Friday, May 8, 2009

Pat's Run 2009

This is a 4.2 mile run in honor of fallen soldier Pat Tillman. If you don’t know, Pat cut his career short as a member of the NFL football team, the Arizona Cardinals, to fight in the war against terror. He was killed in the line of duty by friendly fire. Pat wore #42 when he played football at ASU and #40 as a member of the Arizona Cardinals. The race was held at ASU, and 42 was a common theme for many aspects of the race. That’s why the race is 4.2 miles long. The kids’ race is 0.42 miles. Both races finish up on the 42 yard line of the ASU football field. They even have a special age category of 40-42. This is Burt at the end of the race. Looks like "Where's Waldo?". I'll give you a hint ..he is wearing #42! HaHa! He came in 672nd out of 13,360. That is the top 5%. Hooray for Burt!!!
We signed the 3 girls up to do the kids race. Here they are ready to go...


This is Abby and Katelynn at the end. Abby wanted to run it too, so I figured I would go with her. It's less than half a mile, right? So we line up and it's time to go. I stay with her for a little bit but there are so many kids and their parents. Mary, Jules and Katelynn had said they would stay together so I let them go. Then before I know it Abby takes off. I try to catch her but there are way too many people. I couldn't even see her. The whole time I am praying that she is ok and that no one will take her and that I can find her at the end. I had no idea there would be sooo- many people. When I got to the finish line I couldn't see any of my 4 girls that ran. I started to panic and then Katelynn grabbed my hand. WooHoo! I asked if she knew where the other girls were and she said she found Abby. She took me to where Abby was. Abby was along the fence dancing to the loud music. It was hilarious! She ran the whole thing and when I asked her why she left me she said"cuz you were too slow Mom!". We found Mary and Jules pretty easily and headed back to the Kids Zone.
.



Mary and Julianna with an ASU football player.


Mary and Julianna with Baxter.







Mary and Julianna with Sparky.











After the race we went to Ted's Hotdogs in Tempe. We loved this place when Burt was in school. Emily liked the hat that they gave her.









So did Burt.........





We had a really great time and it was to remember a really great person.
(AJ was at a campout)






3 comments:

Shellee said...

Nice photos, There were a lot of people I know who were there. I'm not a runner... yet. I'll get there someday.

Grandma Sharon says. . . said...

I like your sense of humor. Don't be so slow next time your kids run. You have good kids and a good husband, and they have a good mother and a good wife. Keep up the good work. I admire all that you do with your family, and allow them to do. Never a dull moment in your household.

Joanna Valles said...

This is great!! Your family makes me soo proud!! I love the pics! Emily is sooo cute!! Abby dancing again!! That girl is the best!!