Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sad, sad day!

This is taken from Burt's blog because I just couldn't write it myself



"Sad sad day today. I heard the dogs barking last night around 2am, so I went to see if Sugar wanted to come inside. I opened the back door and Ginger came in, but I didn't see Sugar. I looked around the house to see if she was already inside, and maybe I was just hearing things. Couldn't find her. I woke my wife up and told her I couldn't find Sugar. She told me where the flashlight was. I got dressed and went looking again for her in the backyard with the flashlight; couldn't find her anywhere. Then I shined the flashlight out in the golf course. I saw something out laying in the grass. I hoped it was just a piece of cloth or a stuffed animal, but I think inside I knew what it was. I went around the block on to the golf course and sure enough it was Sugar's lifeless body. I think she squeezed through the wrought iron view fence. My guess is she saw a coyote out there and went to go play. She's never tried to go out before. I scooped her up and put her in a box. Vickie cried. We broke the news to the kids in the morning as they wondered why they weren't going to school. Mary and Julianna had a good cry. Then we had a family prayer and thanked Heavenly Father for the time we had with her. We asked who wanted to go out and help bury her. AJ, Katelynn, Abby, and Ginger came along. We drove out to the desert and dug a hole. Katelynn and Abby had their little beach shovels. Ginger sniffed around at the box. We buried her and Katelynn and Abby sprinkled leaves and flowers they had picked from home on her grave. AJ gathered up golf ball sized stones and wrote her name. All the kids are staying home, their choice. I never would have thought having a pet for only a week and a half and having to bury her would be that sad. Sad day. "

3 comments:

lletrad said...

Just reading that makes me cry all over again. Sugar was the cutest, sweetest puppy I had ever seen. I loved loved loved her.

The Boring Family said...

I don't know her, but its makes me sad too.

Heather said...

So sorry Vickie!! That made me cry just thinking of having to tell the kids that their sweet dog died. I still remember losing Ruffles and that just about killed me.