Wednesday, March 18, 2009

No Surgery !!!!

When Emily was born she had lots of problems. One was a good sized hole in the top area of her heart. Along with that there were enlarged valves, extra flaps of skin, and a main artery that is basically backwards. We were told she would need surgery to correct the hole. She was very little and it was decided we could wait until she was 1 year old to give her time to grow and give the hole a chance to fix itself. At 1 year she was doing well and the hole had gotten a tiny bit smaller. The Doc said he really wanted to wait until she was 2 to do the surgery because she still weighed just 13 lbs. Her heart was working and he didn't feel like it was being stressed. I, of course, wanted to put off surgery as long as possible. I wholeheartedly agreed with him. Today we had another appointment with the Pediatric Cardiologist. After a few tests and what seemed like forever in the exam room we got to talk to him. He got out his diagram of a heart and began his explaination of what he had seen. Her hole was significantly smaller. The valve that had been enlarged was some how not so enlarged. The extra flaps of skin were shortening. It took me a bit to understand what he was saying. I had gone to this appointment ready to set a date for her surgery. He kept talking about how great this was and how it was really not expected. So I asked him "When will she have surgery then?" Thinking to myself that 3 would be ok. I could do that. That's when he said "Never. Atleast not for these things." I just looked at him.. I thought about how I had been scared of this surgery for the past 2 years and now ....... What? Nothing.

I feel so blessed right now. In spite of everything else wrong in my life. Emily doesn't have to have heart surgery. None. Not even a little. I have been struggling lately. Not with my testimony, but with how strong the Lord thinks I am. I can handle alot, but when it comes to my kids I have a hard time. Emily goes through so much already and I was really worried, no I was Scared of this surgery. I tried to educate myself hoping that would help, but then I just had all that information swimming in my head.



I think I need to be more like Emily. She smiles through it all. When she was 6 monthes old she got RSV and Pneumonia at the same time. While in the Hospital her lung collasped. Every Nurse on our floor wanted to see her. They were amazed that she was still smiling at everyone. Of course she still has her moments but she is basically happy all the time.

4 comments:

Grandma Sharon says. . . said...

That is great news. I have been praying for your family lately and asking Heavenly Father to help you meet your challenges. He blesses us in so many ways. He watches over us and knows of our needs. He loves your family because you do what is right, are righteous, and serve others. We must never stop thanking Him for his goodnesses.

CJ said...

This is very good news Vicki. Sometimes we can over-educate ourselves into a semi paranoid state because we all worry about the "what-ifs". You are a good mother, no, a great mother and you are richly blessed!

Strader's Funny Farm said...

I am so happy your little Emily doesn't have to go through the surgery (or Mom)!

Joanna Valles said...

This is the best news!! How did I miss this post? How did I not hear?? I am so happy! I completly understand what you mean about not feeling as strong as Heavenly Father knows you are. The thing that helps me is keeping him near. Power of prayer is the best thing when you can´t take it any longer.